Call for Papers
The Canadian Challenges on Terrorism, Proliferation, Critical Infrastructure, Cybersecurity and Connecting with Canadian Communities
2017 Call for Proposals for Research Presentations
EXTENDED Deadline: April 19, 2017
We encourage TSAS Junior Affiliates to submit proposals for research presentations dealing with Public Safety Canada’s priorities and addressing “The Canadian Challenges on Terrorism, Proliferation, Critical Infrastructure, Cybersecurity and Connecting with Canadian Communities”. This workshop aims to improve the relevance and practical outcomes of Junior Research Affiliates’ research projects, and to foster relationships between young academics and TSAS partners. Priority will be given to proposals that address Public Safety Canada’s priorities and the stated research needs of TSAS’s partner organizations. Applicants are invited to review the following documents to become better informed of these needs:
Canada’s Counter Terrorism Strategy
The event will take place at the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs at Carleton University, Ottawa, from July 20-21, 2017. It will be a joint event with the Summer Academy 2017, July 17-20.
There will be a poster session and a social on Thursday evening, and a day of oral presentations on the Friday. Potential participants are invited to submit proposals for an oral presentation or poster. Participants are limited to one submission, due to the high number of contributions expected.
Each applicant must submit:
• a one page statement of interest addressing the relevance of their research to the TSAS Junior Research Affiliate workshop and partners;
• a statement of the format of their presentation (15 minutes oral presentation or poster);
• the initial results of the research to be presented (preliminary results, pre-test, links between theory and results, etc.);
• a signed letter of support from their academic supervisor;
• a 500 words abstract of the presentation;
• and a short bio (200 words);
• Following the event, participants will prepare papers (3000-4000 words) for the conference proceedings. All submissions will be peer-reviewed, and in order to ensure that the focus is on discussion, sharing knowledge, and knowledge-mobilization, the workshop will consist of a limited number presentations.
TSAS is able to provide travel grants to offset travel expenses for a limited number of Junior Affiliates whose proposals are accepted for an oral presentation. Financial support is only available for transportation and accommodation. (Students and/or prospective presenters interested in attending BOTH the TSAS Summer Academy and TSAS Junior Workshop should follow Twitter @TSASNetwork and TSAS.ca for coming announcements about general TSAS Studentships to attend these events.)
Applicants for Jr Affiliate Workshop – Presentation Travel Grants must also provide:
(1) their city and country of departure;
(2) an estimated cost of economy-class flight and/or 2nd class train/bus ticket from their home to Ottawa for the dates in question; (For eg. Pdf of flight search for relevant dates)
(3) details of any possible co-funding available from their academic institution, employer, or other;
(4) a 200-300 statement outlining the reasons for their request for funding;
(5) a statement of the the minimum amount of funding required to make their participation possible.
Travel grants will be processed after the event, upon receipt of original receipts, boarding passes, proof of participation, etc. Further details regarding reimbursement process will be provided when decisions are made on selected papers.
Only proposals from TSAS Junior Affiliates will be considered.
To become an affiliate, TSAS requires an email to the Project Manager, Elizabeth Ford, email@example.com with the application form, a recent CV, and a brief (1/2 page) statement of how one’s research agenda has connected with, or will connect with, TSAS.
To be eligible for applying to this Call, the deadline for submitting a request for affiliation is March 3, 2017.
Where to send your proposal
All submissions should be sent by March 17, 2017, to: TSASconf2017@gmail.com